MAIN MENU
· Home Page
· About Us
· Our Mission
· Free Needs Assessment
· Quote Request
· Contact Us
· Privacy Policy
SERVICES
· Overview
· Resume
· Cover Letter
· Career Testing
· Career Coaching
· Job Search Tools
· Web Resumes
· Resume Distribution
· Seminars
· Returning Clients
WORTH A LOOK
· Affiliations
· Jane's Blog
· In the Media
· Recommended Links
· Tell a Friend
· FAQ
· Publications
· Downloads
· Samples of Our Work
· Search

Posted by: Janeir on Monday, August 19, 2013 - 02:32 PM
Job Search WITH A LITTLE BIT OF HELP FROM MY FRIENDS . . .
How heavily should advice from friends and family members weigh in for job seekers when choosing a career path for their job search? Suggestions from friends and family members in choosing a career path can always be welcomed by job seekers as a courtesy, but it is unlikely for friends and family to know all the dimensions or layers making up the job seeking individual to ensure job satisfaction. Most people don’t even realize their own total person, including the job seekers themselves. Professional assessments are designed to identify the key factors needed for career success and satisfaction; inherent behavioral strengths, aptitude, interests and motivators. Far too many people believe they are being properly evaluated by answering questions only about their interests. It’s worth noting that a person can only have an interest in something they know about. In other words, people can’t know what they don’t know! Therefore, unknown opportunities may never surface.

Job seekers are likely aware of their own hard skills and aptitudes, and perhaps even what motivates them. But they are typically far less knowledgeable about their inherent behavioral strengths and more importantly how those traits play an important role in job satisfaction. Therefore, instead of family and friends providing advice for a career direction, the job seeker should focus on the reality of who they are regarding how they naturally respond to challenges, people, the pace of the environment, and to rules and policies. It’s important people understand their inherent interpersonal skills and the value those traits bring to the workplace. Knowing what specific behavior strengths are required for jobs gives one the opportunity to match their strengths to the right jobs so they can do what comes naturally for making decision, influencing others, supporting a team, and being careful with details. Being a square peg in a round hole takes so much energy to try to be a good fit, after using all the energy to adapt to that round hole, one rarely has enough energy left over to actually do that tasks, even if they are capable of performing them.

“15% of the reason you get a job, keep a job, and move ahead in that job, is determined by your technical skills and knowledge, regardless of your profession. The other 85% has to do with your people skills and people knowledge.”
–Harvard Business School

Know your people skills and have “people knowledge” to increase the probability of career satisfaction. It becomes easier to narrow down career choices from the list of jobs needing the traits you will naturally bring. Family and friends can be a lot more important in helping the jobseeker during the job search process after the appropriate career path has been determined.

Note: Count on career coaching professionals to help ensure career satisfaction. clientsupport@janecos.com or 724.528.1000
 
Login
 Username
 Password


 Log in Problems?
 New User? Sign Up!
Related links
· Contact us to learn more!
· JaneCo's Resume Service
· More about Job Search
· News by Janeir



 




JaneCo's SENSIBLE SOLUTIONS
Copyright 1995 - 2015 - All rights reserved

Internet Payment Gateway

Sunday, February 26, 2017